Wednesday, November 29, 2006

To Tip or not to Tip that is the question?

This Tuesday night was like all the rest I made as much as I normally do. But I failed to get a tip from someone who I thought of all people would tip his cabbie. Now be sure to understand that I am not complaining, tips are a bonus and are not something I expect to get from my passengers. When they do it's great but by no means do I ever look for one. SO this brings me to my story, I picked up a guy from a reputable Hotel here in Saint John and he was all complaints as soon as he got into the cab. Blabbering on about his customers the staff he works with and the fact that his shift was so long. No this guy was not the bellhop nor the front desk clerk or the valet, he was they guy that everyone tips with out fail or question if they are indeed going to tip anyone in their life. Yeah he's the guy who brings up the room service. I know that these guys not only look for a tip, they come to expect it. SO here I caught my self thinking what kind of tip will this guy leave, because in this industry you get to know they types of people who tip. Most of the time it is the people who are rich and have loads of money but more oftan it is those who receive tips themselves for the job they do. This guy tried to bum a smoke off me and when I informed him I did not smoke he was yet again upset. SO at the end of the ride they guy counted out the fare to the exact penny and left and was gone leaving me thinking, wow I am not going to tip that guy if he ever brings me room service. Ahhh but then I caught my self a tip is a reflection of the service received. So maybe I will or maybe I won't, but as a rule I am generally a good tipper and I hope you are too.

Stuck Productions is now finished filming their movie in Saint John, The Movie "stuck" about a hit and run where a lady drags a guy home with her car should be out in a year or so. Hopefully it shows the good qualities of Saint John and promotes the city a bit.
I know our company made a few bucks from stuck, we had one of our cabs in the movie all done up with 555 numbers as is common for movie phone numbers. Also they had a charge account with us to move their people around and I made about $50 from them last night taking them back to their respective hotels. Nice people I hope the movie does well.




A Nice Picture of Market square at 5am while I line up in front of the Hilton


2 comments:

e.war said...

it's funny to think that my brother is one of those guys that lines up in front of the hotels, driving a cab... ha, my brother is also one of those guys that drives drunks around.. lol

saintjohncabbie said...

Yeah Big Bro does a lot of crazy stuff but just up and heading out to Montreal on a whim thats Nuts!